Sunday, March 3, 2019

God's Story... For My Life - March 03, 2019

This message contains graphics. If you do not see the graphics, click here to view.
 
bg-facebook bg-twitter bg-google bg-blog
 
  Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Day 270: Read today's devotional on Bible Gateway.

Safe with God

Read Psalm 31

O Lord, I have come to you for protection; don't let me be disgraced. Save me, for you do what is right. Turn your ear to listen to me; rescue me quickly. Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger. Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me, for I find protection in you alone. I entrust my spirit into your hand. Rescue me, Lord, for you are a faithful God. I hate those who worship worthless idols. I trust in the Lord. I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul.
(Psalm 31:1-7)

Reflect

David made this desperate plea based on what he knew of God's name or character. Because God is righteous and loving, he loves to deliver his people.

We say we have faith in God, but do we really trust him when we're in a tight spot? David's words, "I entrust my spirit into your hand" (Psalm 31:5) convey his complete trust in God. Jesus used this phrase while dying on the cross, thus showing his absolute dependence on God the Father (Luke 23:46). Stephen repeated these words while being stoned to death (Acts 7:59), confident that he was simply passing from God's earthly care to God's eternal care.

Why did David suddenly bring up the subject of idol worship (Psalm 31:6)? He wanted to contrast his total devotion to God with the diluted worship offered by many Israelites. Pagan religious rituals were never completely banished from Israel and Judah, despite the efforts of David and a few other kings. Obviously a person who clung to idols could not commit his spirit into God's hands.

Respond

When we put today's idols (wealth, material possessions, success, relationships) first in our lives, we cannot expect God's Spirit to guide us. God is our highest authority and requires our first allegiance. We can commit our possessions, our families, and our vocations to God. But first and foremost, we need to commit ourselves completely to him. Take time to voice your commitment to God.

Bible Gateway Recommendations
NLT Wayfinding Bible


Browse more from the New Living Translation!
Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 

Subscription Information

This email was sent to mucomacamucomaca.muco@blogger.com by Bible Gateway, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA. This email is part of a devotional or newsletter that you signed up for on BibleGateway.com. For information regarding our privacy policy, click here. If you have questions or comments about this newsletter, please contact us.

Manage all Bible Gateway subscriptionsOpt Out of all Bible Gateway communication

No comments:

Post a Comment