Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Dallas Willard Daily Devotional, January 02, 2019

Click to view this email in your browser.
bg-facebook bg-twitter bg-google
 
  Learn more about RevenueStripe...

My Life as Discipleship

That my actual life is the focus of my apprenticeship to Jesus is crucial. Knowing this can help deliver us from the genuine craziness that the current distinction between "full-time Christian service" and "part-time Christian service" imposes on us. For a disciple of Jesus is not necessarily one devoted to doing specifically religious things as that is usually understood. To repeat, I am learning from Jesus how to lead my life, my whole life, my real life. Note, please, I am not learning from him how to lead his life. His life on earth was a transcendently wonderful one. But it has now been led. Neither I nor anyone else, even himself, will ever lead it again. And he is, in any case, interested in my life, that very existence that is me. There lies my need. I need to be able to lead my life as he would lead it if he were I. . . .

The teachings of Jesus in the Gospels show us how to live the life we have been given through the time, place, family, neighbors, talents, and opportunities that are ours. His words left to us in scripture provide all we need in the way of general teachings about how to conduct our particular affairs. If we only put them into practice, along the lines previously discussed, most of the problems that trouble human life would be eliminated. That is why, as we have noted, Jesus directs his teaching in Matthew 5 through 7 toward things like murder and anger, contempt and lusting, family rejection, verbal bullying. This is real life. Though his teachings do not make a life, they intersect at every point with every life.

From The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God. Copyright © 1997 by Dallas Willard. All rights reserved. Used with permission of HarperCollins Publishers.


Forward this email to your friends, or invite them to subscribe to receive the Dallas Willard Daily Devotional.

Bible Gateway Recommendations
The Divine Conspiracy Continued

Retail: $25.99

Our Price: $15.49

Save: $10.50

Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 

Copyright Information

Copyright 2016 © HarperOne. Drawn from the works of Dallas Willard. Used by permission.

Subscription Information

This email was sent to mucomacamucomaca.muco@blogger.com by Bible Gateway, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA. This email is part of a devotional or newsletter that you signed up for on BibleGateway.com. If you have questions or comments about this email, please contact us.

Manage all Bible Gateway subscriptionsOpt Out of all Bible Gateway communication

No comments:

Post a Comment