Thursday, April 30, 2020

God's Story... For My Life - April 30, 2020

This message contains graphics. If you do not see the graphics, click here to view.
 
bg-facebook bg-twitter bg-google bg-blog
 
 
  Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 

Day 694: Read today's devotional on Bible Gateway.

Grace under Pressure

Read Acts 21:37–22:33

"Brothers and esteemed fathers," Paul said, "listen to me as I offer my defense." When they heard him speaking in their own language, the silence was even greater.

Then Paul said, "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, and I was brought up and educated here in Jerusalem under Gamaliel. As his student, I was carefully trained in our Jewish laws and customs. I became very zealous to honor God in everything I did, just like all of you today. And I persecuted the followers of the Way, hounding some to death, arresting both men and women and throwing them in prison. The high priest and the whole council of elders can testify that this is so. For I received letters from them to our Jewish brothers in Damascus, authorizing me to bring the Christians from there to Jerusalem, in chains, to be punished.

"As I was on the road, approaching Damascus about noon, a very bright light from heaven suddenly shone down around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?'

"'Who are you, lord?' I asked. "And the voice replied, 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, the one you are persecuting.'"
(Acts 22:1-8)

Reflect

Though threatened by a mob, Paul exhibited grace under pressure. By saying that at one time he was as zealous for God as any of his listeners, Paul was acknowledging their sincere motives behind their desire to kill him and recognizing that he would have done the same to Christian leaders a few years earlier. Paul always tried to establish a common point of contact with his audience before launching into a full-scale defense of Christianity. After gaining a hearing and establishing common ground with his audience, Paul gave his testimony. He shared how he had come to faith in Christ.

Respond

Sound reasoning is good, but it is also important to simply share what Christ has done in our lives. But no matter how we present the message, not everyone will accept it, as Paul knew. We must faithfully and responsibly present the gospel, and leave the results to God. When you witness for Christ, first identify yourself with your audience. They are much more likely to listen if they feel a common bond with you. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you be gracious, regardless of the response you receive.

 
Bible Gateway Recommendations
NLT Wayfinding Bible

 


Browse more from the New Living Translation!
Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

Subscription Information

 

This email was sent to mucomacamucomaca.muco@blogger.com by Bible Gateway, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA. This email is part of a devotional or newsletter that you signed up for on BibleGateway.com. For information regarding our privacy policy, click here. If you have questions or comments about this newsletter, please contact us.

Manage all Bible Gateway subscriptionsOpt Out of all Bible Gateway communication

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment