Saturday, December 22, 2018

Investigating Faith with Lee Strobel - December 22, 2018

Click to view this email in your browser.
 
bg-facebook bg-twitter bg-google bg-blog
 

Advertisement

 
  Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 

Forward this email to your friends, or invite them to subscribe to receive Investigating Faith with Lee Strobel.

The Hope of an Absolved Past

"This I call to mind and therefore I have hope," the prophet Jeremiah wrote in Lamentations 3:21-23. "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

The writer is saying that we can live with hope because even though we find ourselves failing God, letting down our families, and even falling short of our own expectations, God's forgiveness is a renewable resource. It's fresh and available every day, and He's willing to offer us a new start.

I was thinking about this while I was watching the movie City Slickers. Did you see that film? It was about three New Yorkers who were approaching their midlife crises, and they decided to take an adventure vacation during which they participated in a cattle drive out West.

Phil's life was a wreck. He was in a dead-end job at his father-in-law's grocery store and he was facing a divorce. In one scene he and his buddies were in a tent when Phil broke down and
began crying. "I'm at a dead end!" he sobbed. ''I'm almost forty years old; I've wasted my life!"

One of his friends tried to console him. "But now you've got a chance to start over," he said. "Remember when we were kids and we'd be playing ball and the ball would get stuck up in a tree or something? We'd yell, 'Do over!' Look, Phil-your life is a do-over. You've got a clean slate!"

But Phil wasn't so sure. "I've got no place to live. I'm going to get wiped out in the divorce because I've committed adultery, so I may never see my kids again. I'm alone!" he said. "How's that slate look now?"

As I watched that scene, I thought, How is a guy like Phil ever really going to be helped? And the answer is only through the kind of do-over that he can get from God. After all, God is the world's biggest dispenser of do-overs. He loves granting them to contrite and humble recipients.

Individuals like Phil—and you and I—can wish we'd never committed the wrongs we have. We can try to paper them over like they never really happened. We can try to deal with them on our own. But Jesus Christ would tell us, "I can erase them so you can start over. I can forgive you, and I can help you heal and hope again."

 
Bible Gateway Recommendations
The Case for Miracles: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for the Supernatural

by Lee Strobel

Learn more about RevenueStripe...
 
 

 
 

Copyright Information

 

Devotional content drawn from the writings of Lee Strobel. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

 

Subscription Information

 

This email was sent to mucomacamucomaca.muco@blogger.com by Bible Gateway, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA. This email is part of a devotional or newsletter that you signed up for on BibleGateway.com. For information regarding our privacy policy, click here. If you have questions or comments about this newsletter, please contact us.

Manage all Bible Gateway subscriptionsOpt Out of all Bible Gateway communication

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment